Sunday, August 20, 2006

My not-so-excellent eBay adventure

This post should be subtitled, "Aaargh!" Some clown hacked into my eBay account and listed 49 (undoubtedly knock-off) Louis Vuitton handbags for sale this morning. Luckily, I got immediate e-mail notification that this was going on and was here to deal with it. I had to manually cancel all 49 auctions, go back and forth with eBay security several times, and change passwords on a whole bunch of accounts, not just that one. Pretty scary, actually, to think that someone managed to get password access to an account.

I think the lesson is to use more complex passwords, to use different passwords for different purposes, and to change them from time to time. I'm going to try to do lots better at all of those things. If you take my advice, you'll do the same. Just as in being at home or in the office, convenience and security are in constant tension. (Stuff I already knew, but needed a kick in the pants about.)

Surf safely, everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, are you sure you just didnt order the louis vitton bags in a moment of veacness??? Just send one to me!!!!..
LIse

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."