Saturday, April 05, 2008

Supplemental Post # 10

The weather has held on. Tomorrow may be another story. A lovely breakfast at Trevaylor -- a really generous buffet breakfast, fresh berries with the cereal, a seat in the window. Everything here is fresh and clean and done with a loving eye. Pat and her helper Jenny take great pride and do a smashing job. And that mattress was heaven.

I wandered down to town around 9:30 or so, took some photos and wandered into the waterfront grocery until the Maritime Museum opened. The historical stuff makes up less than half of the exhibits, but what is here is choice, covering fishing, shipping and the Packet Service. There is an interesting feature on five individual Cornish people involved in maritime activities, one of whom is Edward Pellew of Hornblower fame. The shop was productive, too -- Cornish sea salt, cards, and a watery blue scarf. Had another pasty for lunch (not as good and I must stop that anyway) and then caught the 13:15 ferry for Flushing.

What a haul! The weather was spotty, slightly wet, but then the sun came out as I had a nice walk around the town and out to Trefusis point to see what the promontory was like. Heading back through town and in the other direction I found Pellew’s house and also located some illuminating brochures on local history in the church vestibule. I took the 3 pm ferry back, chatting with a local lady (transplanted, actually) as we waited on the quay.

Saturday seemed very sleepy in Flushing, I hardly saw four cars. I imagine it’s a bit busier as the weather warms up but still a bit of a back water. It’s been going a long, long time though and was the home to many Packet captains. Now there are two pubs, I read that it once boasted seven and there were parties every night. The Trefusis Estate owns much, maintains well, and makes most accessible.

I got myself even more relaxed drinking cider in the King’s Head, which is perhaps not as friendly as the Quayside, but has an attractive fireplace and comfy couches. My plan was to get some fish and chips and call it a day. And what fish and chips they were, haddock from Harbour Lights. It’s hard to conceive of fish any fresher or finer.

Happy happy.

No comments:

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."