Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Monkey on My Back

Yes, I have an addiction and it's dogged me as long as I can remember -- the wasteful, unnecessary and nearly unbreakable habit of buying and hoarding far too many magazines. It just about killed me, but I put an estimated 800 past issues of travel, home decorating, cooking and computer magazines into the recycling bin this week. A few of them dated to 1995. Some, I swear, I never even opened. But, someday, I was going to go through them all. Someday I was going to tear out and file those articles and recipes that lured me into buying that very special issue in the first place.

I can't guarantee I'll never buy another magazine, but I think I can promise I'll put some thought into it from now on.  I shudder to think not only of the amount of money I'd spent on such ephemera over the years, but the way all those stacks of paper cluttered my living space.  I still have plenty of clutter left, but I'm beginning to see the value of less, of simple, of space.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."