Friday, September 01, 2006

How cool is this?

This might be my favorite picture I have ever taken in my life, not counting people pictures anyway. Taken about 6:40 pm this evening at the Fourth Avenue Bridge in Olympia. Ladies and gents, that is one beautiful group of very large, milling Chinook salmon. They are waiting to move through the fish ladder into Capitol Lake and they are all stirred up because there are about five harbor seals hot on their tails.

If you have polarized sunglasses, you can see the fish in the water, but I had no idea if the camera would pick them up. I just shot straight down, on a "sunset" setting (it's not exactly a pro camera) and hoped for the best. I have some other nice pictures of the seals, the gulls, a lone heron and the whole scene, which I'll post to Flickr and link here soon.

UPDATE: This photo set is now up on Flickr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, that is a very cool picture! I drove by there about the time you were out there tonight! I saw a group of people gathered there and figured they were probably looking at the fish and seals...had I known you were there, I would have stopped! Anyway, looking forward to seeing your other pics. Hope all is well with you!

Suzanne said...

Teri! Good to see you here, thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. Yes, do go and have a look at the fish, it's amazing. I hope to get up to the falls soon to see if I can catch any leaping.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding photo! Amazing sight and colors. If you're not going to quit your day job to take photos full-time . . . at least you should print this one and hang it in your office.
Thanks for sharing.

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."