Books
I'm always reading Patrick O'Brian, currently Book 12, The Letter of Marque, but I had to put it on hold for The Historian, which is a terrific book that completely swept me away. Highly recommended.
Movies
I'm handicapped by not having been up to Seattle recently, or even to The Grand in Tacoma, but I did see The Holiday (fun, not brilliant), Night at the Museum (alternately inventive and overdone schtick), Notes on a Scandal (great performances, disturbing story) and Because I Said So (a sad waste of Diane Keaton with a few good laughs). Woo hoo, you can add Breach to the list. Finally, a movie that's not a disappointment--a spy story, a thriller, a character study, really good writing and performances (including Chris Cooper and Laura Linney). Recommended.
DVD Rentals
I'm having much better luck with rentals lately than movies in the theatre. And I'm back with Netflix for the time being. Movies I've seen recently on DVD and liked include Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (charming), The Emperor's New Clothes (ditto), Zelary (a touching, compelling World War II epic, a 2003 best picture nominee from Poland), Tristan + Isolde (made me a fan of both its stars, James Franco and Sophia Myles) and the White Countess (surprisingly absorbing and effective).
Recent DVD Purchases
- A Prairie Home Companion (Even better than I thought it would be)
- The Magic Flute (Trollflöjten) (Ingmar Bergman does Mozart - fabulous)
I'm trying to bust out of my rut, but also return to the things I like. Recent downloads & purchases:
- Jeni Melia
- A Praire Home Companion Soundtrack
- Crush on You
- MC Lars, Download This Song
- The Corrs, Angel
- Loreena McKennitt, An Ancient Muse
Podcasts
I access podcasts from iTunes and particularly like various UK newscasts. The BBC and The Guardian are two good sources. My platform of choice is, of course, iTunes.
Bits & Bobs
Rocketboom for one thing, which I can access via iTunes or Tivo. It's quirky and fun; I love Joanne.
TV
The good, the bad, and the ugly:
- Battlestar Galactica (Come for the stars, but stay for the stories. There are high points and low, but Starbuck is one of the best female characters on TV, ever.)
- Men in Trees (It's romantic and sweet and it makes me feel good. Anne Heche is pretty damned delightful. I'm trying not to get too attached for fear it won't last. It's too good, not mainstream enough, I couldn't be that lucky . . . . )
- Two and a Half Men (I hang my head in shame, but it makes me laugh out loud and on Monday nights I'm in serious need of a laugh.)
- Rome (but please bring back Deadwood)
I'm still catching up, so I'll add more links and content on this post soon. In the meantime, I'm moving the date forward to keep it on top.
No comments:
Post a Comment