Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Putting money where the mouth is

There is no shortage of worthwhile destinations for one's donation dollars. Heaven knows I spend plenty on myself. Now I'm gonna spend a little on some other stuff.

First, I am so doing
this: Did you know anyone can be a microlender? Just like Grameen Bank, winner of the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize along with it's founder Muhammad Yunus. How cool is that? I've come across two articles on microloans in the last few days, one by Nicholas Kristof in the New York Times, the other in the online magazine Slate. I think I'm going with Kiva, but check out the linked articles for other options. As little as $25 can get you started.

UPDATE: I did it! I'm an international financier. You can see my lender's page here. I hope to add more loans soon.

Second, my small-town Ohio high school alumni association is raising money for a new science wing. This gasping little town is in the rust belt: Kids there need every break they can get. I left at 17 and never looked back. Well, until now. I'd love to help make a difference in just one of those kid's lives. What makes this an even more attractive program for me is that the new facility will be named for my inspiring sophomore biology teacher, Harriet Snyder, who passed away in December at the age of 92.

Last but not least, I'm giving some money to the John Edwards campaign. He's been my first choice for a while now. Seeing how he and Elizabeth are dealing with the return of her cancer only reinforces my good opinion of them. They have been both blessed and tested in their lives and have shown us what character and family values are really all about. Edwards is honest and smart and has developed thoughtful, sensible positions on health care, education, and Iraq, among other things. He's my guy for '08.

I was able to raise about $1200 for the South Sound Y's Strong Kids Campaign, too!

If you donate to something you care about, I guarantee it'll put a smile on your face and someone else's as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the microlending movement. It's so necessary for the recipients of the microloans and so easy for donors to get involved.

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."