Sunday, November 25, 2007

A different kind of Thanksgiving

Part of me misses the large family gatherings I remember from childhood. And there are other times I recall fondly, since I moved out West over thirty years ago, visits with family in Oregon, getting together with friends. Things are quieter now -- slower, more contemplative, closer to home. I like it that way just at present. It has traditions, too -- a walk in Nisqually Delta, Irish whiskey, poetry readings, Scrabble, good Northwest food and wine, maybe a movie.



This "model" may be the shape of future Thanksgivings, or they may be something entirely unexpected. One never knows. What doesn't really change is that I have many blessings. I enjoyed the Verlyn Klinkenborg's piece in the New York Times about the being at the "grown-up" table for Thanskgiving.

I hope everyone's holiday was wonderful. Tomorrow, back to work and reality!

No comments:

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."