Friday, March 28, 2008

Supplemental Post # 2


Not bad in the sleep department at all. It’s quiet up here and there’s a good hard mattress, which I like. It’s damp this morning, the forecast isn’t great, but breakfast always cheers me up and breakfast at the Harlingford is quite good. If I’d had my phone with me I’d have taken a photo of the full English. I swear the egg yolk was orange. (NB, I did take a photo of Joe’s breakfast a couple of days later.)


I was out and about by 9 am. Too early for some things, but just right to visit the new St. Pancras International rail station. It’s beautiful, with plenty of public art and spiffy stores. Stumbled upon the delightful statue of John Betjeman on the upper level, what a treat.

Walked through the British Library display gallery and took a call from Joe to discuss the weather. I love having my BlackBerry with me. Emailing is a flat rate and an easy way to stay in touch, plus you can send photos. Decided to zip over to Paddington to collect the tickets for my Penzance trip. Just as glad I did, it looks overwhelming! But you can get there in a straight shot from Euston Square, which is within walking distance of the hotel. Very handy.

The weather is on-again, off-again, but not too bad. My trusty trench coat and quilted rain hat are doing the trick.

From Paddington, I took the tube to Charing Cross and headed for Trafalgar Square and the National Portrait Gallery. I particularly wanted to see the exhibit Brilliant Women, 18th Century Bluestockings. Made my usual visits to the Tudors, the 18th century portraits and having read Life Mask, looked out for Anne Damer’s bust of Eliza Farren as “Thalia”.

Had lunch at Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martins in the Field. It was healthy, but not particularly tasty except for that bottled Elderflower Presse you seem to see at all the refectories and museum cafes. (Wonder if I can get this at home?) . I supplemented with leftover cheese from breakfast and an apple. One must keep up one’s strength.

I only nipped into the National Gallery, since the temporary exhibits weren’t particularly tempting and to take on a full fledged visit seemed daunting. (I’ve been cruising the shops in all these places, of course.) From there I walked to Picadilly via the Haymarket and bought a ticket to see The Sea with Eileen Atkins and David Haig when I return to London at the end of next week. Picadilly offers excellent book browsing at both Hatchards and Waterstone’s although any more my preference is for Waterstone’s.

Hopped the tube back to Bloomsbury around 3:30 for a cup of tea and to rest my feet. The weather is currently very pleasant -- blue sky, fluffy clouds and a bit breezy. If tomorrow is half as nice, we’ll be OK.

Joe came in from Gatwick to Victoria around 10. We tried a few local pubs, which all take last orders for 11 and were directed up to Euston Road to a big commercial pub, The Euston Flyer. Well, it did the job.

No comments:

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."