Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Supplemental Post # 7


Whew, was I tired Tuesday night! Had a couple of bouts of muscle cramps, too. But the legs worked reasonably well today, which was still pretty stiff going -- though not like yesterday. We had a look at Lanyon Quoit, then were dropped a short way from Men an Tol. Also saw Men Scryfa (apparently inscribed “RIALOBRANUS CUNOVALI FILI” which translates to “Royal Raven, son of the Glorious Prince”.)

From there, we walked to the coast, turning East toward Zennor. Up and down, up and down. You could see the rocky beaches and coves below, not a lot else, as it was misty. I think we shortened things up a bit to walk into Zennor by about 3:30, which left time for tea at the Backpacker’s Hostel, a visit to the Wayside Museum, and to Saint Senara’s Church. We were met on time, as always, and back into Penzance by 5:15.

I’ve decided to stick to South Cornwall for this trip. Tintagel calls but the naval and maritime history in and around Falmouth, for whatever reason, calls louder. I expect to stay around the Lizard and Helston for two nights then move on to Looe on Sunday. I’ll come back here sometime Tuesday, which might allow me to nip up to St. Ives or even farther afield. Or not.

I guarantee you the pace will be slower.

Before I forget, I must make note of the blissful lunch period yesterday around the back of a stone field wall quite near the sea with huge clumps of soft grass to rest on. We were all so quiet, happy with sandwiches. Almost like floating.

We all talked with a lady in the lounge who later joined us for dinner - Diana. She lives in the Scillys, St Mary’s I think, and was staying overnight before catching a helicopter flight home. She was great company, a tireless traveler. I hope she’ll look me up if she comes to the Northwest.

No comments:

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."