Friday, October 20, 2006

Quiet around here? Hold on, be right with you . . . .


I arrived home from my trip to Williamsburg about 6 pm Wednesday evening. Sounds like a reasonable hour, but my body had pretty well adjusted to East Coast time, so it felt later. It'll probably take me until Saturday or Sunday but I should have some nice pictures to share. I think I took around 400 and they need to be pruned, weeded, and edited.

Oh, the trip? Very nice! Virginia is just beautiful this time of year and we had lovely weather until the last day. I realize Williamsburg has its controversial side -- it's kind of like a zoo for history in a way -- but I enjoyed it and would have liked to spend more time there. We also made trips to

  • the Mariner's Museum in Newport-News. There's a spiffing Nelson exhibit there now and I also liked the ship's figureheads a lot.
  • Yorktown Victory Center. Probably my favorite sidetrip. In addition to Cornwallis's surrender, the Victory Center tells the story of the Revolution from the point of view of a number of ordinary people caught up in those tumultuous events. That's a very engaging and effective approach. I'd liked to have spent more time there as well as out on the battlefield and in old part of the town.

Updated 10/31/06. I'm planning to come back to this post to add more links and information -- that's it for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really wonderful photos and images. I find myself drawn to "tourist oriented" historical settings such as this. Thanks for sharing.

If you got all the way down here, you are my hero. Don't forget to click on "Older Posts, though...."